Call for Applications: Research Connection Symposium (RCS)
Call for Applications
Research Connection Symposium (RCS)
Tentative Date: August 8 2018
A pilot service offered by ENRICH in the USA.
Call opened: February 22, 2018 | Call closes: March 30, 2018 – 23h59 CET
- Services offered in this specific call
ENRICH in the USA, through partner - National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA) - organizes the ENRICH in the USA Research Connection Symposium (RCS) taking place August 8th, 2018. The RCS is open to EU Member States and Associated Countries researchers, research managers and administrators, research universities, and national academies of science looking for a US counterpart to collaborate on their research.This service gives you the opportunity to:
This service gives you the opportunity to:
- Meet potential partners;
- Understand & better leverage ENRICH in the USA support.
- Explore opportunities of funding in the US;
The Symposium will be the first ENRICH in the USA Research Connection Symposium,held in tandem withNCURA’s Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. (August 5-8, 2018). This symposium will connect EU researchers and research administrators to their U.S. counterparts, enabling collaboration and potential joint research endeavours. This symposium will provide a platform for EU researchers to present their work and define their research needs to potential US partners, while their research managers and administrators will be able to provide insights on the next stepsfor working together and if there will be viable funding and channels for collaboration. This event will feature 2-minute pitch sessions, networking opportunity with US funding agencies, and research match-making.
Tentative agenda (tbc)
- Welcome and Introduction
- 2-minute pitch sessions
- Thematic Discussion
- Your expertise
- What are you looking for in your research partner?
- Facilitated match-making and research “speed dating”
- Networking Reception with US funding agency representatives (federal agencies and private foundations)
- Target Group of this Call
Research Managers and Researchers from European research institutes, universities, and national academies of science. Research managers that apply together with at least one of their researchers are highly recommended to apply.
- Eligibility Criteria
In order to qualify for the provided service, applicants have to meet the following requirements:
- If an individual, the applicant must be a tax payer in an EU Member State or Associated Country AND/OR be an EU Member State or Associated Country passport holder
- If incorporated, applicant must pay taxes in an EU MS/AC AND/OR have as the majority of shareholders EU MS/AC passport holder
- Applicant must be able to communicate (read and speak) in English;
- Funding Principle
This call will fund 20 participants.Each participant or team will receive € 1,000 travel award.
Participants will however have to cover the remaining costs for flights to and from the United States, their accommodations, meals, as well as other costs (e.g. ESTA/VISA application costs, health insurance, etc.).
- Submission Procedure
All applicants must register at the electronic submission tool F6S under https://www.f6s.com/researchconnectionsymposium. It is highly advised that applicants submit no later than two days before the submission deadline. ENRICH in the USA staff will assist with questions or portal issues for applicants. Besides basic information, applicants must mark a checklist for actual criteria and must complete each section of the application.
In F6S, the applicant is asked to register themselves and fill in general information, personal information (such as name, institution, organization type, contact details, and specific questions referring to the organization type). All applicants must acknowledge that they are made aware that some costs have to be covered individually.
You will need to complete all required questions in the F6S application form before you are allowed to submit. This includes all uploads and attachments in the last section of the application form.
Required uploads/attachments include:
Note that all application responses must be submitted in English.
- Evaluation and Selection Procedure
The fundamental principles governing the evaluation of the applications are:
- Transparency: The process for selecting applicants will be clearly described and made available to any interested party.
- Fairness and Equality of treatment: All applications shall be treated alike, irrespective of where they originate or the identity of the applicants.
- Ethical and Legal considerations: Any application that contravenes ethical principles and legal regulations may be excluded from being evaluated and rejected at any time.
The evaluation process involves three steps:
Step 1: Eligibility Check: Will be done by the ENRICH in the USA staff following the criteria defined in section 4:
- If they meet the respective RC eligibility criteria (outlined above)
- If they meet the respective RC target group for this call (outlined above)
Step 2: Scoring: Once the eligibility check is conducted and complete, eligible applications will be reviewed by an expert evaluation panel according to the following criteria:
- Excellence of their Research
- Relevance for ENRICH
- Matching potential
- Funding/long-term Strategy and/or goal
All these five criteria will be scored from 1-5 (5 being the highest score).
Step 3: Ranking of applications and final selection: The evaluation panel will rank all eligible proposals will be ranked by the scores they achieved through evaluation.
- Time Schedule
February 22, 2018
March 30, 2018
Submission of application and call closes
April 13, 2018
Selection of 20 applicants
April 16, 2018
Inform applicants the selection result
August 08, 2018
September - October 2018
Follow up with RCS matched pairs
For questions regarding the Innovation Tour, please contact: